This trip includes two dives in Silfra Ravine, in what some consider to be the best dive location in Iceland. Situated in the heart of Þingvellir, the site of the world's oldest parliament and UNESCO World Heritage Site, the Silfra lava fissure is one of Iceland's best kept secrets and presents a somewhat unearthly scene.
Located directly on top of the rift between the continents of America and Europe, the crystal clear water in the deep fissure gives you a feeling of being weightless as you glide along with the lazy current. Visibility here is amazing and is only limited by the density of the water itself. Depth varies from 10 to 30 meters.
Silfra Fissure is made up of groundwater from the surrounding area and melt water from the Langjökull glacier, which lies in the Icelandic highlands. Since the Langjökull glacier's melt water takes some 20 years to filter through the extensive lava field prior to reaching the fissure, the waters here are consequently some of the cleanest and purest in the world. The depths of the Silfra Fissure present a unique and somewhat otherworldly underwater scene, unlike anywhere else on the planet. The crystal clear and vibrant blue waters boast excellent visibility of up to 80 metres, where the lifeless volcanic landscapes are an indescribable sight to be seen.
Eyesight and Eye Protection
Since you are wearing snorkelling / dive goggles to see underwater, it is important that there is nothing in the way of the seal to keep them from filling up with water. Consequently, you will not be able to wear glasses underneath the goggles and therefore, you will need to either wear contact lenses or bring your own prescription goggles.
Diver: £345 per person
Price Includes: Pick-up from Reykjavík, all diving gear, diving and PADI guide/instructor
Earn your dry-suit speciality qualification: £475 per license
Available: Everyday with pick up from your accommodation (exact time dependent on time of year) as follows:
08:00-08:30 from 1.April until 14. May
07:30-08:00 from 15.May until 30.September
10:00-10:30 from 1.October until 31.March
Midnight Sun Tour:
16:00-16:30 from 15.May until 15.August.
Meeting time at the Information Center in Þingvellir National Park is approx. 1 hour later
Duration of Trip: 6 - 8 hours (including transfers)
Distance from Reykjavik: 50 km/ 31 miles
Minimum Age: 18 years (or 17 if accompanied by a parent or guardian)
Maximum Age: 65 years
Maximum Weight: 120kg
Minimum Weight: 45kg
Minimum / Maximum Group Size: For your safety and convenience this tour is conducted a minimum of 1 and a maximum ratio of 4 divers per dive guide.
Activity Level: Demanding
We recommend you bring: Warm undergarment clothing (fleece/wool sweater and pants), warm socks and a change of clothing
- PADI Open Water or compatible required, PADI Advanced and Dry Suit certificates recommended
- All dives are performed in a dry suit. All divers must have dry suit certification.
- Divers must be able to provide proof of at least 10 logged dry suit dives within the last two years. The proof must be a written confirmation by an instructor affiliated with an internationally recognised diving organisation.
- All diving participants will also need to read and sign a "Diving Silfra Medical Statement" and, if necessary, follow the directions regarding a doctor's clearance for the tour.
- Divers have to supply sizes on suit before hand
- We need you to send us your height, weight and shoe size in order to provide you with the best fitting dry suit
- Divers must be at least 150cm tall and 45kg